Books2day

To hyphen or not to hyphen, that is still a question.

The NY Times Style Manual, or Manual of Style and Usage to be more precise, has just undergone a refresh and the gods of Mount Syntaxis have deemed that the correct usage of ebook is to use a hyphen as in e-book. This is only significant to NYT journalists since the more widely used AP Style Guide dropped the hyphen two years ago. So when referring to ebooks or e-books, take your pick on usage because technically they are both acceptable even if the Booklikes spell checker prefers a hyphen too.

The Times has also come down on using tweet, Google and friend as verbs. It can still be done as in "he friended me on FB after I tweeted about something I Googled," but only when used in moderation. No details about how many times you can say "tweeted" in one story, and I didn't find anything by Googling either.

Entirely too casual, say the editors of the new "International New York Times." They may want to take a closer look at their own name change (made to further integrate the International Herald Tribune published in Europe). Like in the Ford car ad: "nuts OR bolts," "sweet OR sour pork," and "hide OR seek," shouldn't it be "international OR New York?"

We now return you to your regularly scheduled reading...