Books2day

Barnes and Noble launches the Nook Snaps program, but...

I like fresh, new, innovative ideas the promote good writing by fresh, new, innovative writers. The new Nook Snaps program looks great, but the question remains whether they will actually promote new authors or play it safe and only use established brand names the way Amazon does. If they want to enter the publishing arena fine, but let's bring back what the big six publishers have stifled - fresh, new, innovative...you know the rest.

NOOK Media Launches Innovative NOOK® Snaps Program Featuring Original Commissioned Short Content

• Smart, Fresh and Provocative Perspectives from Compelling Contemporary Voices Selected by NOOK Editors
  • Star-studded Debut Collection Available Now
  • New Selections Offered Every Other Month for Only $1.99 Each

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--NOOK Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world's largest bookseller and leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, announced today the launch of NOOK Snaps (www.bn.com/nooksnaps), an innovative bimonthly program offering original, commissioned short-content works by a select group of today's most compelling voices on the NOOK platform.

Insightful and witty, the NOOK Snaps program features high-quality short fiction and narrative non-fiction hand-picked by NOOK editors offering fresh perspectives on modern life, all in an easy-to-enjoy length and at an attractive price. The program offers 3 to 5 new NOOK Snaps selections of at least 5,000 words every other month for only $1.99 each.

"We believe our collection of bite-sized NOOK Snaps, refreshed bimonthly and offered at a great price, provides a wonderful new way for our readers to connect with some of today's most compelling voices," said Theresa Horner, Vice President of Digital Content at NOOK Media. "NOOK Snaps are sure to delight readers with their smart, incisive and provocative points of view told through wonderfully crafted stories. It's an editorially driven program that reflects our ongoing commitment to high-quality short content delivered on our innovative NOOK platform."

Jessanne Collins, an author whose essay, How to be a Playgirl, is a selection in the NOOK Snaps debut collection, said: "I'm really excited to be included in the launch of a program that's going to make the e-publishing marketplace even more vital and diverse."

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/06/barnes-and-noble-nook-snaps